If you’ve ever copied and pasted a post from a word processing program like Word into Blogger, you probably ended up with some weird formatting issues. Or maybe you’ve changed themes and ended up with some strange things going on in your posts.
The Blogger.com post editor has some handy formatting tools. The only problem is that sometimes you might get overzealous with changing font families or sizes inside the editor. Then when you change themes, your posts don’t look like the theme demo at all. Or your images end up with weird alignment issues.
These kinds of post (and page) formatting issues often are a result of some of the ugly code left behind from copying and pasting your post from another program or using the post formatting tools. Usually, the best thing to do is to clear formatting and start over.
When you clear formatting on Blogger posts and pages, it removes all that inserted HTML and inline CSS. These inline styles can really cause issues and they overrule your theme styles. So, today I’m going to show you how quick and easy it easy to clear post formatting in Blogger so you can start with a clean slate.
How to Clear Formatting on Blogger
Watch this quick video or see the written directions below.
- From your Blogger Dashboard, locate the post you wish to edit and click Edit to enter the post editor. (or page)
- In Compose mode, use your cursor to highlight the content of your post. You can highlight all content or just portions.
- To clear formatting, click on the Remove formatting button. It looks like a capital letter “T” with a red “x” at the bottom right corner.
- All formatting will be removed. Now you can add any new heading or alignment styles you wish.
- Click the Update button to save your new changes.
A Note About Post Formatting Tools
I recommend using restraint when using the post formatting tools, especially the font family and size tools. If you apply inline font styles to your posts, when you change themes, if you want the theme styles to apply, the styles you have added will override the template styles.
Stick to the alignment tools and heading tools. Bold, italic and underline are also ok.
Clear Formatting, A Quick Fix
There you have it, a very quick fix to clear your post styles and start over. This tips is perfect for times when you posts look totally funky and you need to start with a clean slate.