I am a firm believer that great images and graphics can really make a blog.
Humans are very visual creatures. We like the pretty. And a picture really can say a 1000 words.
In our most recent post, Rich blogged about Four Common Image Mistakes Bloggers Make with regards to images and proper SEO and site accessibility.
But as images are such a HUGE part of most blogs, I wanted to share my five favorite image and blogging related articles from my favorite blogging gurus.
Here you go!
1. A Complete Guide on How to Find Images for Your Blog from Blog Tyrant
This is a great, comprehensive guide that covers a number of topics including:
- Where to find images
- How to select images for your brand
- The tech aspects of using images
- Legal issues (a must-read section)
- Tools, plugins and resources
This post is especially good for new bloggers as it covers a number of questions in an easy-to-read manner.
2. 53+ Free Image Sources for Your Blog and Social Media Posts from Buffer
The team at Buffer (one of my favorite tools) have compiled a list of more than 50 FREE resources where you can get stock photos for your posts and social media.
While it’s always nice to use your own photos, using stock is often easier and works as well.
Check out this monster list of places to find free photos. Make sure you note licenses and proper credit procedure for each site before using images.
3. Fair Use in Blogging: Can Bloggers Use Copyrighted Images? from the Art Law JournalAs a blogger, you must be aware of legal issues that can get you in trouble. Most of the time you’re blogging solo (not as part of an Inc. or LLC) and this can put you at big risk if you don’t know the legalities of blogging.
This post is not the most exciting, but it’s well-written and important info every blogger should be aware of to protect themselves. Must. Read.
4. 10 Tips for Optimizing Your Images for Search from Moz.comThe team at Moz.com are total SEO gurus. If you’re interested in SEO and haven’t started digging into their blog yet, you need to hop on over and Check. It. Out.
Moz.com is where I got my first lessons in SEO and they’re still one of my go-to resources.
This is a great article written in laymans terms for us non-SEO savants. It includes 10 practical tips to help you optimize your images for search engines .
5. 15 Blog Images: Bet Practices for Adding Great Pictures to Every Post from Orbit Media Studios
I really like this article. It discusses 15 different kinds of images you can add to your blog posts. This is a great article if you need to up your blog image game.
Sum It Up
Images can totally make your blog. The internet is an inherently visual place. Readers are increasingly becoming scanners. And well thought out images can help your blog content shine.