Blogger widgets, aka gadgets, are a great way to add extra features to your blog.
Our Blogger themes use the native Blogger widgets plus some custom widgets like the sliders and promo boxes to create amazing, modern themes for Blogger.
In fact, every part of your Blogger blog is actually a widget, from the menu to the blog post section. And these widgets can be locked or unlocked.
The Problem with Locked Blogger Widgets
An unlocked widget can be moved around and removed from your blog with the click of a few buttons. In general, when you add a new widget to your blog using the Add a gadget link in your Layout page, the widget is added as an unlocked widget.
A locked widget cannot be moved or deleted. Common locked widgets are the blog post section, menu and logo or header section. You will commonly run into problems with locked widgets when you change themes or templates on Blogger.
Some designers lock widgets so you won’t accidentally move them and mess up your blog layout without knowing how to fix it.
The main problem with is that when you change themes, it does not erase all your old widgets. Some from your old theme, which are no longer useful with your new design, will hang around. Sometimes they’ll end up in weird places and mess up your beautiful new blog design.
When you try to get rid of these locked widgets, you’ll notice there’s no Remove button. And you can’t even move it to get it out of the way!
Have no fear, I’m here to show you how to easily unlock and get rid of these locked Blogger widgets. See the video tutorial and written tips below.
How to Unlock Blogger Widgets
So, let’s get rid of those pesky locked Blogger widgets.
The Video Tutorial
The Written Directions
Step 1: Find Widget ID
The tool we’re going to use to unlock the widgets requires that you know the widget/gadget id.
Some widgets have IDs that totally make sense:
- Label widget – Label1, Label2, Label3, etc.
- Featured Post – FeaturedPost1, etc.
- Popular Posts – PopularPosts1, etc.
- Archive widget – BlogArchive1, etc.
But others offer no clue like HTML1, HTML101, etc. Or even Image1, Image99, etc. So, we need to figure out how to find the ID on these widgets.
- Go to the Layout page on your Blogger Dashboard.
- Find the widget and click on the Edit button.
- The widget popup box will open.
- At the top of the box is a URL or address bar.
- Expand the popup window until you can see the full address bar.
- The widget ID is the last part of the address. Example LinkList60 in the image below.
Step 2: Unlock the Widget
OK, now that we have the widget ID, we can unlock the widget and move it or get rid of it.
- Go to your Blogger Dashboard.
- Go to the Themes page.
- Click on the Edit HTML button to open the theme editor window.
- Click on the Jump to widget drop down to open the list of widgets.
- Find your widget in the list and click on it. You will be taken right to the widget in the code.
- The line in the code you’re looking for will start with: <b:widget
- Check that the id that follows the widget tag matches the widget you’re looking for.
- Following the id, you’ll see the following code: locked=’true’
- This is the code that locks the widget. Change true to false like this: locked=’false’
- Click the Save theme button.
Your widget is now unlocked.
You can now go to the Layout page and move or remove the widget.
Sum It Up
Sometimes when you change Blogger themes you can get stuck with an old widget that no longer works for your blog. They can even end up in weird places that really mess up your beautiful new theme. And these widgets may be locked so you can’t remove or move them. A real pain!
Following the steps above you can unlock your Blogger gadgets to move or remove them.